Saturday, August 1, 2015

There can be only one

Potomac River near Antietam Creek
Potomac  River about a half mile from Antietam Creek.

The saying goes, "If fishing were any easier, they would call it 'catching.'"  It felt like that today.

I went back to the exact same spot I went to last Saturday on the Potomac River.  The conditions were exactly the same.  Fished around the same time in the morning (actually showed up about an hour earlier this time).  The river looked exactly like it did last week.  I used exactly the same lures (and then some!).  Ten fish last week.  One fish this week.

I started off using a small silver/black Chub's Hub topwater lure but didn't get any action.  So I switched over to the four-inch worm I used last week initially.  The one where I caught several fish including a 16-inch smallmouth bass.

The second cast, about 10 feet out from shore, I caught this smallmouth.

Catch ....
Easily a 12-inch smallmouth!  It's always good to catch a smallmouth that's a legal size even though I have no intention of keeping it.  It's like the legal size limit means it's a real fish.

Potomac River smallmouth
.... and release.
And that was it.  Had a handful of hits but didn't land a single fish the rest of the time.   Tried a green (watermelon) worm, a tube bait, a three-inch curly-tail grub, a chatterbait ... and nothing.  I guess after 35 smallmouth in three weeks, it was time for a slow day.

Anyway, I did get the GoPro mounted better so you can actually see what's happening.  Here's a short video of me catching that one smallmouth:


No comments:

Post a Comment