Sunday, August 14, 2016

The Potomac River kicked my ass this weekend

potomac bald eagle
At the end of the branch with no leaves in the lower
half of the picture is a bald eagle.  He didn't catch
anything either.

Not a good weekend of fishing.  Saturday night, I went to Dam 4 and sweated my ass off for a few hours and didn't catch anything.  A 11- to 12-inch smallmouth clamped onto a swimbait for a few seconds, jumped then freed itself about eight feet away from me. No other bites before that, and only one other bite after that.

potomac smallmouth
Five-plus hours of fishing this weekend, and this was my trophy.
This morning, I went to Taylor's Landing bright and early and only sweated half my ass off.  After the first hour, I finally caught one smallmouth that was around 10 inches.  And that was it for actually landing fish.  A couple more hits, even a follow on a swimbait from a fish that I am pretty sure was a small walleye.  Around 9:30 a.m., the sun started peaking over the trees and bathing the entire river in its warm glow which did wonders for the humidity, so I called it quits.

Swimbaits, Z-Man TRD Finesse worms, Bass Pro Shops Stik-O worms, some topwater (topwater bite has been almost nonexistent for me this year, yet still I try), a Rapala Shadow Rap (which I lost, exact same lure that a 20-inch Susquehanna smallmouth liked so much in April) ... nothing seemed to work.

Did I mention it was hot as balls?  I fished mainly in areas right below riffles and could only manage to land that one smallmouth.

Potomac bald eagle


No comments:

Post a Comment