Friday, May 20, 2016

Dog day afternoon

My secret location on the Little Patuxent where I've caught two 15-inch smallmouth.  I say "secret" because I've never seen anybody fishing here before.  There's a pond nearby with lots of sunfish and largemouth bass and a lot of fishing pressure, but nobody walks the extra 50 feet through the woods to fish the river.

Unfortunately, not much to report on this trip.  Four hours of fishing and all that was landed was a failfish and an 11.75" smallmouth.  The smallmouth came late in the day as I was about to give up.  Felt a tug on the end of the line with a Stik-O worm but couldn't hook the fish.  I thought it might have been a sunfish nibbler, which were prevalent throughout the day.  Then I cast the lure in about the same spot and got the smallmouth.

little patuxent smallmouth
Just shy of 12 inches.

The failfish was typical -- felt a small hit and started reeling.  There was something on the other end of the line.  A fish?  A stick?  A paper towel?  What was interesting was that the fish hit a Finesse TRD worm working the bottom.  I usually catch them on reactive baits like spinners or Shadow Raps.

A funny story, this part of the Little Patuxent is off the beaten path.  There's a shack or house about 50 feet from the river.  It seems occupied but I haven't seen any people. Last time there, I heard a radio or a TV from inside the shack.  This time when I got to the river, there were two dogs laying on the sandbar who started barking as soon as they saw me.  They approached me but weren't in attack mode.  Kept their distance but still bark-bark-bark-bark-barked at me.  Watch dogs barking, do they bite?  I waded out a few feet in the river and started fishing.  After about 10 minutes, I guess they didn't consider me a threat anymore and disappeared.  The dogs are probably associated with whoever "lives" in the shack and are comfortable around people.  One of those things that maybe if I walked up to them they might be friendly?  Or they might bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment