Sunday, June 4, 2017

A guy, a girl and some places for smallmouth

potomac smallmouth
Karen's first fish today, an angry smallmouth probably close to 13 inches.
Two trips over the weekend and three dink smallmouth for me.

On Friday, I went back to the Middle Patuxent.  Was on the river for almost three hours and caught one dink smallmouth on a Z-Man TRD Finesse Worm.  The river was low and clear, and I could see fish chasing and taking swipes at most everything -- Heddon Zara Puppy, spinnerbait, Reaction Innovations Little Dipper -- but nothing except for that one fish clamped on.

middle patuxent smallmouth
Middle Patuxent smallmouth that looked like the dink
Potomac smallmouth.  Maybe they're related?
Most of the bass were found in really slow water, which I often overlook -- I mostly try and target tailwaters of ripples or pools next to fast water.  I sat on this one pool for an hour casting everything and getting chases and nibbles from smallmouth.  I could see the fish, which was frustrating since they didn't actually bite.  It's like they were casually looking for a snack but weren't in a feeding frenzy.

Today, Karen and I went to the Upper Potomac.  The water had gone down considerably since last week but was still about two feet above normal.  And visibility wasn't that great.

I managed two dink smallmouth -- again on a Z-Man worm -- but had two heavy hits on the worm and then right after that on a Little Dipper.  Probably Mr. Whiskers, though, just itching to make his first appearance of the year.

potomac smallmouth
Karen took this picture of me with one of my yuge
Potomac fish.  YUGE!  TERRIFIC fish!
Karen caught a couple smallmouth, one easily over 12 inches (picture at top of post) on a Bass Pro Shops Sassy Sally, which is really close to a Little Dipper.

Hopefully the rain stays away so the river can get back down to normal and flowing clear.  It feels like it's a month behind in that regard compared to last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment