Sunday, June 18, 2017

Dinkfest

potomac smallmouth
My entry into the tiniest smallmouth competition.
Last week, Karen dragged me to Boxerfest to mingle with vape-impaired Subaru drivers.  This weekend we camped fished at McCoys Ferry for Dinkfest where we caught the littlest smallmouth bass.

I managed to reel in three dink smallmouth and a rock bass yesterday, then one more dink smallmouth this morning.

Karen caught a handful -- literally! -- of smallmouth, too, and probably the same rock bass I landed.

potomac smallmoth
Karen's entry into the tiniest smallmouth competition ...
I think she won.
All of my fish, except for one, were taken on Z-Man Finesse TRD worms* -- the other was tricked with a Reaction Innovations Little Dipper.

*If you have been following this blog at all, you know the Z-Man worms have been my primary lure the past month or so.  They are $3.99 for a pack of eight, and matched with an inexpensive Z-Man Shroomz jighead, the combo just plain catches fish.  And when snagging a lure, no tears are shed because you're only out a couple bucks.

The water at McCoys Ferry flowed two feet higher than normal with the clarity of watered-down chocolate milk.  Looking at the gauges from upriver, it appears a mild rain fell during the week that we didn't have 60-plus miles away at the house.

McCoy's Ferry also had a ton of (non-fishing) boat and jet ski activity when we got to the camp site yesterday afternoon, which helped kick up crud from waves lapping the shore from each passing pleasure craft.  Two years ago I fished by myself at McCoys Ferry and experienced the same thing with the non-fishing boats.  And left after an hour. Gotta remember that -- avoid this area until summer winds down.

potomac rock bass
The rock bass Karen caught that I think I caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment