Saturday, June 10, 2017

The one that got away

The biggest fish today that obliged on getting its picture
taken.  Note the pattern below the dorsal fin.  This Z-Man
worm would later get stolen by another fish ... read on.
Waded the Upper Potomac for a few hours this morning and caught nine fish -- eight smallmouth and a redbreast sunfish.  One smallmouth was about 14" (and fled before I could get a picture) and another was just under 12.  The rest were cookie cutters in the 8-10 range.
Upper Potomac Smallmouth
First fish of the day -- typical cookie-cutter smallmouth.
Karen and I fished the Upper Potomac last Sunday, but today the river was down at least two feet and flowing a lot clearer.  And the conditions today were a lot better for wading.

This particular section wading today had a ton of protruding rocks and very fast water.  I caught mainly dinks on Z-Man TRD Finesse Worms and Reaction Innovations Little Dippers.  I was in the water by about 7:30 and started off with a Whopper Plopper hoping for a topwater bite but had no interest, but the plasticy rubbery baits were working OK.

I had one fish hit a Z-Man worm, jump out of the air and put up a great fight.  It was a really dark colored smallmouth and looked to be about 14 inches.  But when I lifted the fish out of the water, the line snapped.  It counts, though!  It counts!

The line was really frayed, and I think the fish was wallowing on the bottom among the sharp rocks. I rarely have the line break like that -- always checking the knot and re-tying if there's even one nick.

This was foreshadowing of what would happen later

upper potomac rock formation
Slow water just to the left of the weeds had a lot of fish.
Around 9:30 a.m., I stopped above this rock formation (picture on the right) that was barely out of the water like the tip of an iceberg.  It created a channel of water on either side like a V, but the water just behind created a slow circling pool -- just screamed for smallmouth.

I caught a few dinks from here casting toward the middle of the river and working a Z-Man worm back parallel to the rock.  The bite was really subtle on almost every hit.  Like the jig hit a rock or there was slight tension on the other end when lifting the worm off the bottom.  Finally caught the one under 12" to stand out among the cookie-cutters that were hiding here.

When I stopped here, I noted that if I caught anything of size, it was going to be a real tussle once the fish hit the current.  Since I started fishing on the Potomac three years ago, my personal best is 16" (twice) so I didn't think it was likely to hook anything like that or bigger anyway.

And then ...

Maybe 10 minutes after the 12-inch fish, exactly the same area where all the other fish were, I felt a small tap.  Again, almost like when a bottom-bouncing jig hits a rock.  I set the hook, and for a split second it felt like another cookie cutter but then it pulled back hard!  Soon the fish was in that current I was talking about.  I pulled on the rod and the fish pulled right back with superfish strength.  The Roy Jones Jr of fish!  Loosening the drag and the fish took line, and I tried to wade back closer to shore toward slightly slower current.  This fish was STRONG -- reminded me of the 18.5-inch smallmouth on the Susquehanna in April.

And then ... SNAP!  It was gone.  I reeled in the line, and it was frayed from the end to about eight inches up.  Another line break like that 14-inch smallmouth, but this time I didn't even see what was fighting on the other end. (Of note: This fish was hooked on the exact same rod/reel/line combo I used to catch that 18.5-inch Susquehanna smallmouth.)

Last year, about 200 yards down from where I lost this fish, I hooked into a fish that I thought was a beast smallmouth, but it was just Mr. Whiskers.  So maybe it was Mr. Whiskers again?

Or it was the elusive beast Potomac smallmouth.

I dejectedly fished that area for another 30 minutes and caught one dink smallmouth.  At least it was the most fish I've caught this year not counting that one Susquehanna trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment