Wednesday, September 27, 2017

It's still hot because the sunfish are still out

A pretty slow evening on the Little Patuxent.  I only managed a small largemouth bass and two green sunfish, all on some flavor of Reaction Innovations Little DipperAt least I didn't try and bleed to death.

little patuxent green sunfish
One of two green sunfish.
I started off where I was last week and had at least five hits on a Heddon Zara Puppy within the first eight or 10 casts.  But after that, nothing sniffed at any topwater.

After casting into trees for a couple hours and catching the two sunfish, I moved downriver to a couple sections I really hadn't fished before.  The second spot, I cast a Little Dipper while standing high up on a bank, and a smallmouth came out of nowhere and attacked it.  It looked like at least a 12-inch fish, but it shook angrily on the surface and got away.

The next cast produced another hit, but this time it was the largemouth bass.  Probably around 10 inches.  I hoisted it up on the bank, it shook its head, got off, tumbled down the bank and into the water.  No picture for you!

All the largemouth I've seen on the Little and Middle Patuxent rivers are the cookie-cutter variety.  Wondering if there any bigger ones of legal 12-inch size.

I also saw a good sized (at least for the Little Patuxent) cruising, but it got spooked as soon as I cast a lure near it.

Temps were probably around 90 today, so I wonder if the fish will stay active for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment