Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Tech Tip Tuesday: Holding your rods

Wading for fish definitely has its drawbacks when comparing to fishing from a boat or kayak.  But for now, I'm stuck out of the boat.

The biggest advantage to fishing from a watercraft -- other than being able to cover more water -- is having multiple rods and more gear.  Earlier this year I somewhat satisfied the dilemma of multiple rods with a rod holder that can be strapped around the waist.

A holster for your weapons.
Before this, I had been bringing two rods with me anyway whenever I went fishing basically since I started fishing for smallmouth bass a few years ago.  One rod would be rigged for finesse lures working the bottom (jigs and tubes), and the other rod would be for basically everything else (jerkbaits, swimbaits, topwater, spinnerbaits, etc).  But usually -- especially with the case of wading on the Upper Potomac -- I would leave one rod on shore.  So if I wanted to switch presentations, I would have to wade back to the shore and switch rods.

So if I found a hot spot and just wanted to switch things up, I'd have to go to shore and get the other rod.  Or waste time tying on another lure.

Earlier this year, I found Kim's Rod Holders on Etsy and purchased one of his dual rod holders for around the cost of a Megabass Vision jerkbait.  It's basically a piece of rugged foam with two plastic rod holders riveted on, and the ensemble can be strapped around the waist.

I haven't used it on the Little/Middle Patuxents since I'm basically fishing from shore or on a sandbar in most spots, but it has been a valuable tool on the Potomac.  I don't feel like I'm chained to one location since I have to keep an eye on the rod on shore.  Plus, more importantly, I can switch rods within a few seconds.

The best example of this was just yesterday when I was using a bottom bouncing jig in one section and not getting much action.  Then I switched to a spinnerbait and had two fish and one miss within a handful of casts.

Heck you can even be daring and carry three rods wading in the river of your choice.  Two secured on your back, one in hand, then juggling one out for the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment