Friday, September 1, 2017

When a cloud obscures the sunfish

A nice redbreast sunfish.
The original secret spot on the Little Patuxent.  It was still there, but access to the trail was hindered by a fallen tree.  The only way to the river was muddling through marshy areas or find another trail.  Or make my own.

Which is what I did -- make my own trail.  Through the brush and thorns and along the fence of a storage facility, and I finally made it to the river.

The action was pretty good as soon as I hit the water.  I tried a Hubs Chub and had several rises, but nothing managed to snag the two treble hooks on the lure.  It looked like sunfish pecking at the lure, but you never know what lies beneath.

After no hookups on the topwater, I switched to a Z-Man TRD Finesse Worm, and the frenzy was on.  At least for the sunfish.  Within about 15 minutes, I caught three redbreast sunfish and a little smallmouth bass.  One of the sunfish was bigger than the normal ones I always catch -- hand sized.

Chocolate milk tastes great, but fish don't think so.
Then the cloud came.  Not a fluffy white cloud in the sky but a cloud of chocolate milk flowing down river.  The water in this section isn't really clear but it was actually the clearest I have ever seen it.  Two feet of clarity at least.  But then this muddy water just ... appeared.  It's not like it was raining and stirring up the muck.  I was standing in water just below my knees when I noticed it. As soon as the chocolate milk water flowed past, the bite stopped.  Nothing.

The water kept on flowing like this with no end in sight.  Soon, the whole river was a cloudy mess.
Instead of two or three feet of clarity, it became zero feet.
After I left, I drove over a couple bridges spanning the Little Patuxent upriver, and the water looked normal.  I have no idea what caused this.

No comments:

Post a Comment